Registration & FAQs
What is Face the Music?
Face the Music is the country's only youth ensemble dedicated to studying and performing music by living composers, including today’s leading voices and student composer-performers from the New York City tri-state area and across the world. Face the Music is Kaufman Music Center's youth contemporary music program.
Face the Music inspires “a sub-culture where Radiohead and Portishead cross-pollinate with Bartók and Dvorák, where orchestral music feels newly relevant as a medium of self-expression”
- New York Magazine
Face the Music includes Large Ensembles, Student Work Cycles, Reading Days, Advanced Projects, String Quartets, a Call for Scores! composition program, multiple performance opportunities and collaborations:
- Face the Music Philharmonic: an advanced-level chamber orchestra
- Face the Music Symphony: an intermediate-level full-sized orchestra
- Samurai Mama Big Band: a contemporary jazz big band
- Sound Bite Orchestra: an experimental improvisation-based collective
- Kronos at Kaufman: Face the Music teams up with the revolutionary Kronos Quartet to bring authoritative pedagogical oversight to student string quartets
- Call for Scores! composition program
- multiple performances at real venues around NYC
How to Be A Part of Face the Music:
Face the Music is a deeply scholarship'd program with 150 seats available to students from all over the NYC tri-state area. Registration is open and placement auditions are held in September. Students are placed within the program based on interest, enthusiasm, commitment and skill. Annual tuition covers a third of the cost of participation. Interested students should register ASAP and pay the $40 Registration Fee. Call the Registrar's Office at 212.501.3364 or 212.501.3360. For more information email email@example.com
- Performance Program – $360: The core experience at Face the Music. All members participate in this and play in our Large Ensembles and perform roughly 4 times a year. Members may also perform in any number of smaller ensembles like our Advanced Projects and also work on music created by their fellow student composer-performers. The Performance Program is free for students from Special Music School High School. SMS K-8 students pay the $360 tuition.
- Call for Scores! – $160 Application Fee: Face the Music is committed to studying and performing music written by its own student composer-performers! Students applying to the Call for Scores program must also participate in the Performance Program.
- Kronos at Kaufman Level I (String Quartets) – $860
- Kronos at Kaufman Level II (String Quartets) – $1060
(All prices above do not include a non-refundable $40 registration fee.)
How do I register?
ASAP call the Kaufman Music Center Registrar's Office at 212.501.3364 or 212.501.3360. The $40 Registration Fee is due upon time of registration. Registration is open to all who are interested but seating is limited to 150 members. Financial Aid applications are due Monday August 15 and Tuition is due Thursday September 1.