LUCY MOSES SCHOOL POLICIES
During office hours, we encourage you to call 212 501 3360 or visit the school for the most up-to-date information about class availability and to register. Our staff is available Monday– Thursday, 9am–7pm; Sunday and Friday, 9am–5:30pm; closed Saturdays. During July and August, the office is open Monday through Friday 9am–5:30pm only.
You can use the registration form in the back of our catalog or download a registration form from our website, KaufmanMusicCenter.org/lms, that can be mailed, faxed or emailed as an attachment to the Education Office (see p. 1 for contact info). Online registration is not currently available, but a new online registration system will be on our website in the future.
Once you have registered, please allow three days to receive your registration receipt via email. If registration is completed close to the start of classes, you may not receive your welcome packet with student identification card before classes begin. If registration has not been confirmed, please call or email Lucy Moses School before the first day of class or first lesson.
Course enrollments are limited and filled on a first-come, first-served basis. We strongly recommend registering well before August 1 for the best availability, as many courses and sections close quickly. While we will do our best to accommodate preferences, we cannot guarantee that your specific request can always be met and will advise you on your options should your preferred class not be available. Late registration for classes is permitted only with the permission of the instructor. Mid-year enrollments are possible for selected classes; please check with the registrar or visit our website. Lucy Moses School reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances.
Students interested in private lessons may begin at any time during the year. New students meet with the Young People’s and Adult Division Managers for consultation and placement. Returning students continuing with the same teacher should specify preferred days and times on the registration form. Requests for a specific teacher are granted on a space available basis.
Important Registration Dates
September – Once the new school year begins, current students may continue to add additional classes, including spring semester classes.
December 1 – New students may register for spring semester classes. Returning Summer Musical Theater Workshop students may register until February 1. Interested new students can be placed on a waiting list.
February 1 – Students on the Summer Musical Theater Workshop waiting list will be contacted about availability and registration.
March 15 – Early Registration: Returning students may register
for the 2017-18 school year. New and returning students may also register for the summer session.
May 1 – New students may begin registering for the 2017-18 school year. Financial aid applications are due for returning Young People’s Division students.
June 15 – Financial aid applications are due for new Young People’s Division students.
Payment, payment plans and financial aid
We accept payments by check, money order, credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover) or cash. Credit card payments may also be made by telephone.
We now offer the convenience of automatic tuition payments. If interested, please let us know at the time of registration.
When registering between May 1 and July 31:
• For a single semester class or classes with a grand total of $940 or less, payment is due in full.
• For a grand total of more than $940, a deposit of $360 is due. Subsequent payments are divided into two installments for no additional fee. Payments are due September 1 and January 3.
• Invoices are mailed/emailed one month prior to the first payment due date.
• A late payment may jeopardize the student’s lesson request and/or class space.
When registering August 1 or later:
• For a grand total of less than $940, payment is due in full.
• For a grand total of more than $940, the first half of tuition plus the annual registration and materials fees are due at the time of registration.
• Invoices for the remaining half of tuition are mailed/emailed one month prior to the second payment due date of January 3.
We also offer the Extended Payment Plan to Young People’s Division students and families, which allows payment in four bi-monthly installments during the school year. There is a $25 fee for this. Please request the plan when registering.
Late tuition payments without arrangement for extended payment will be charged a late fee of 2% per month. Students’ lessons and classes will be suspended if accounts fall behind in payment.
Families in need of financial assistance are encouraged to apply. If eligible, the award granted covers a portion of the total tuition. The remaining tuition will be divided into four installments. Applicants must submit a detailed financial application by specific deadlines (May 1 for returning students and June 15 for new students). Interested families should contact Lucy Moses School for information and application materials, or download the application from our website.
Withdrawals and refunds
All requests for withdrawal must be received in writing by Lucy
Moses School before any student will be considered withdrawn. Written request, either by letter or email, should be directed to the Registrar of Lucy Moses School. Email requests should be sent to email@example.com. Verbal requests or notification of intention to withdraw does not fulfill this requirement. Notifying the teacher alone does not constitute notice of withdrawal. Students receiving financial aid or scholarship forfeit their award upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal from a group class
• Withdrawing more than 2 days before classes begin: full tuition credit or refund is available.
• Withdrawing less than 2 days before classes begin, or after the 1st class has occurred: pro-rated tuition credit or refund is available.
• Withdrawing after 2 classes have occurred: pro-rated tuition credit or refund is available.
• Withdrawing after 3 classes have occurred: 50% tuition credit or refund is available.
• Withdrawing after 4 or more classes have occurred: tuition credit or refund is not available.
Withdrawal from Private Lessons
Students must notify the office and teacher two weeks in advance, in writing of the intent to withdraw. A tuition credit or refund for unused private lessons is available minus a $75 withdrawal fee. Students are responsible for the tuition of any lessons scheduled within the two-week notice period. The registration fee is not refundable.
Withdrawal from the Suzuki Program
Students must notify the LMS office, teacher, and head of the Suzuki program two weeks in advance, in writing of their intent to withdraw. Suzuki group-class tuition can be credited or refunded in accordance with the above mentioned group-class withdrawal policy. A tuition credit or refund for unused private lessons is available minus a $75 withdrawal fee. Students are responsible for the tuition of any lessons scheduled within the two-week notice period. The registration fee is not refundable.
Please note: Allow three to four weeks for the processing of refunds. Because of our flexible withdrawal policy, we do not offer trial lessons. Registration fees are not refundable.
• Children enrolled in Dalcroze classes receive a 10% discount on any Dance classes.
• Children enrolled in Dance classes receive a discount for multiple dance classes: 15% if two classes per week are taken, 20% if more than two dance classes are taken.
• Children enrolled in private lessons are eligible for a tuition
• reduction for ensembles and most music classes.
• We do not offer discounts for siblings. A registration fee and full tuition applies to each child.
• Senior citizens receive a 10% discount on group classes only.
• Adults enrolled in private lessons receive a discount on group classes in our jazz program.
• Adults enrolled in Sight-Singing and Nashir! receive a 20% discount on Music Theory classes.
• We do not offer discounts for siblings or multiple members of the same family. A registration fee and full tuition applies to each registrant.
• Discounted tickets are available to selected Kaufman Music Center presentations at Merkin Concert Hall performances, subject to availability. Tickets must be ordered by phone or in person, and require a current Lucy Moses School student ID when tickets are claimed. Call the box office at 212 501 3330 to inquire about availability.
• LMS students receive a 50% discount on studio rental rates. This discount applies only when all who are rehearsing during the period of rental are currently registered LMS students. Otherwise, the full rental rate applies. Studios can be rented through the Front Desk; please call 212 501 3308 for availability and rates.
By enrolling in Lucy Moses School, the student or parent/guardian (for students under 18) authorizes the making and use of any photos, videos or sound recordings during his/her participation in Lucy Moses School classes or events for any purpose Lucy Moses School may make or authorize without compensation to the student or parent/guardian.
Absences and Make-ups
In case of student illness or other need to be absent, we do not offer make-up classes. Students enrolled in a class with multiple sections, with the permission of the instructor, may attend another section of the class. If the instructor misses a class, a make-up will be scheduled or a refund will be issued.
If you are going to be absent from a private lesson, students/ parents should contact the teacher directly by phone. One excused absence is allowed per year with 24-hour advance notification. In that case, a make-up lesson may be scheduled at a time that is mutually convenient.
Students who are routinely late, unprepared or demonstrate inappropriate behavior may have their registration cancelled and, if receiving financial aid, their award cancelled.
Lucy Moses School normally closes for snow when the New York City public schools do. We announce snow closings on our website and our 212 501 3360 voicemail. You may also visit www.nyc.gov for snow closing information.
Credits and Degrees
Contact your high school guidance counselor or Music Department Chair to determine your school’s policy.
Lucy Moses School Adult Division awards the Certificate and License in Dalcroze, and Hunter College graduate students may take Dalcroze classes to fulfill their elective credits.