"An exceptional pianist, endowed with virtuosic brilliance and boundless energy, and an interpretive power both intelligent and emotionally sensitive" Norddeutsche Neueste Nachtrichten.
A rare opportunity to hear Gulsin Onay live in a recital from the one of the greatest musical artists of modern Turkey in a program of piano masterpieces also featuring the fascinating music of the 20th century Turkish composer Ahmed Adnan Saygun.
Gulsin Onay started her music education when she was three and with the aid of special state scholarship she studied with Ahmed Adnan Saygun and Mithat Fenmen and has won many prestigious national and international awards;
• "Premier Prix du Piano" at the Paris Conservatoire, from where she graduated at the age of 16.
• the Marguerite Long-Jacques Thibaud (in Paris).
• the Ferruccio Busoni (in Bolzano).
• "Honorary Award Gold Medal" by The Sevda-Cenap And Music Foundation in 2007.
• "Pianist of the Year" in the 2011 Donizetti Classical Music Awards.
• "The State Medal" by the Polish nation for her exceptional Chopin interpretation in 2007.
• "Goodwill Ambassador" for the UNICEF in 2003.
• "Pianist of the Year" by Donizetti Classical Music Awards in 2011.
She is also acknowledged worldwide as the finest interpreter of the music of A. Adnan Saygun, whose works feature prominently in her concerts and recordings.
Onay has recorded 20 albums that illustrate the breadth of her repertoire as well as her interpretive power. Many of Onay’s concerts have been broadcast on European radio and television, and in the USA on National Public Radio. Her subsequent, truly international career, has spanned across the Atlantic, giving concerts in major cities of the USA . Onay performed Chopin and Ravel impressively at Miami International Piano Festival and in New York in 2010. Onay takes special interest in the promotion of charitable causes and she performed for "International Women' s Day" in Washington DC in 2011 under the auspices of UNICEF.
Gülsin Onay holds the titles of State Artist in her native Turkey, and of soloist for the Presidential Symphony Orchestra in Ankara. She is “Artist in Residence” at Bilkent University in Ankara and holds an honorary doctorate degrees from Bosphorus University in Istanbul, and from Hacettepe University in Ankara.
Turkish American Chamber of Commerce and Industry is proud to sponsor the excellent pianist Gulsin Onay.