Final Summer Auditions for 2019-20:
Thu, Aug 22, 2019, 4 pm at Kaufman Music Center
Wed, Sep 4, 2019, 9:30 am at MLK, Jr. Academic Complex
Get audition details.
SMS High School’s music program is rooted in the classical tradition, its performance and its composition. Students wishing to audition may sign up to audition in the 3 Concentrations that organize the students:
- Vocal Concentration – for singers
- Composition Concentration – for those interested in composing
- Instrumental Concentration – for those that play an instrument. SMS teaches students in the instrumental program on the following instruments: piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophones trumpet, French horn, trombone, euphonium/baritone, tuba and percussion.
The audition is comprised of:
- An audition before a group of SMS High School faculty members. Students prepare one or two pieces that best demonstrate their skills and abilities. If two pieces are performed, they should be contrasting (in time period, tempo, etc.).
- During the audition, all instrumental applicants will also be asked to sight read a short excerpt. You will be given a few moments to review the excerpt, and then to play it.
- A 20-minute written music theory exam
We ask all students to prepare 1 or 2 pieces that best reflect their current playing ability. Some suggested repertoire includes:
Ensemble music is acceptable for the audition, but solo pieces are preferred. A few examples of the types of solo pieces that are considered acceptable are: wind, brass, percussion, string, guitar, and piano concertos, sonatas, suites, character pieces, solo works. Solo piano works can include fugues, inventions, suites, barcarolle, etudes, preludes, and dance forms (mazurkas, polonaises, etc.) Students may also be asked to perform 1 or 2 scales and perform a short sight reading excerpt.
Singers should perform classical arias, art songs, cantatas, etc. and/or traditional musical theater songs. Singers will also be asked to participate in vocalizing and pitch matching exercises.
Composers should compile a portfolio or list of scores/pieces they have worked on recently and would like to present at their audition. Audio or video recordings are encouraged.