Jobs & Internships
Director of Marketing & Communications
This is a new role at Kaufman Music Center.
The Center is seeking an entrepreneurial professional for a game-changing position at Kaufman Music Center (KMC), which is currently undergoing dramatic program growth, and is in the beginning stages of a capacity-building fund raising campaign intended to reach out to a broad community. In connection with the campaign and current programs, the Director of Marketing and Communications (Director) will implement a brand strategy to drive familiarity of the Center’s mission, increase brand recognition, and move individuals to donate, volunteer, register as students or buy tickets.
The Director will be looked to to lead and be part of the Marketing and Communications Team to achieve business and marketing goals for all Center-wide marketing and communications efforts. The Team is responsible for marketing, advertising, media relations, electronic/print communications, design, publications, marketing analytics and digital marketing, including email and social media. The team comprises the Director, 3.5 marketing/communications positions, plus the database manager.
Serving as a key member of the KMC Executive Team, the Director must be passionate about KMC’s mission, and about music education and performance in the nonprofit setting; knowledgeable about the current environment in which KMC operates; and able to effectively communicate the ways in which KMC is differentiated from other, similar-sounding organizations.
This is a position for a creative thinker able to bring fresh ideas to all areas of KMC’s communications and marketing; a team player who will partner cross-functionally and work effectively with various levels of the organization; and a true professional who is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
The KMC culture is ideal for someone who is nimble, who pays close attention to detail, who possesses strong relationship management skills, and whose data-driven analyses can result in having an influential voice at the table. KMC seeks a confident decision maker with excellent presence and a self-starter with high energy/drive, a relentlessly positive attitude and a results oriented approach.
• Oversee the Marketing/Communications team and external consultants, providing leadership, management, and tactical support, and ensuring a robust and highly functioning department that serves the needs and goals of the organization.
• Partner with Development, Administration, and Program teams to ensure brand and marketing integration across the organization, ensuring consistency and adherence to standards.
• Develop and execute an internal communications plan to engage the entire staff to adopt roles as educated and engaged spokespeople for the Center.
• Proactively identify opportunities to meet goals with limited resources and budgets in a nonprofit environment
• Scan the corporate sponsorship environment and develop an appropriate corporate sponsorship program, working with Development to explore opportunities.
• Partner with the Development Director to create compelling appeals to acquire small gift donors via online and direct mail
• Establish the annual Marketing Budget, tying expenditures to results, with an emphasis on initiatives that result in a realistically positive ROI.
• Create or edit effective marketing copy
• Work with the Database Manager and Marketing team to evaluate and enhance the website for SEO with a goal of driving qualified traffic that leads to conversion; maximize Google Grant for conversions and implement limited paid SEM strategy
• Collaborate with the Marketing team on the creation of a media strategy and management of the external public relations agency to achieve desired media coverage
• Review, maintain, and improve tracking systems to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of all Kaufman Music Center’s marketing activities, to drive insights and better decision-making.
Desired Skills & Experience
• 5- 10 years in a senior communications position within a cultural, music, or performing arts organization or similar entity.
• Experienced and skilled in leading, motivating and managing a team.
• Up to the minute knowledge of social media strategies and implementation, as well as deep experience in traditional marketing
• Proven effectiveness in using Digital Marketing and Social Media. Experience in designing marketing plans that fully leverage new technologies.
• Proven ability to connect, inspire, and persuade internal and external stakeholders
• Attention to detail; ability to maintain focus and measure short and long term progress.
• Extensive hands-on experience writing copy (writing samples are required), producing video/slideshows, and establishing design direction
• Proven skills in brand strategy execution.
• Project management experience with the ability to lead and the willingness to support all levels of the process
• Experienced in managing outside resources to deliver meaningful results on-time and on budget
• BA degree required; advanced degree preferred
To Apply: Applicants should communicate through email@example.com. Please send CV, cover note and salary history. Please place the following in the subject line of your email: Director of Marketing. Salary will be commensurate with experience and the aspirations of this new position. Competitive benefits package.
Kaufman Music Center is an equal opportunity employer.