Jobs & Internships
Kaufman Music Center is hiring for the role of Managing Director of Merkin Concert Hall. This role is responsible for providing artistic direction for and producing Kaufman presentations such as Ecstatic Music Festival, Tuesday Matinees and other in-house series and events, as well as managing Merkin Concert Hall and other venues within the Center. In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Merkin Hall Advisory Board, and within the Center’s ongoing Strategic Plan, the Managing Director shapes the artistic vision and voice of Merkin Concert Hall through presentations, collaborations and interdepartmental initiatives. She/he maintains an awareness of developments in the field and finds strategic ways to amplify MCH’s place within the NYC cultural landscape.
The Managing Director is a senior staff position reporting directly to the Executive Director and playing an active role in setting the artistic and strategic agenda for the hall, including forging creative partnerships and alliances.
- Produce all Merkin presentations and co-presentations; to include negotiations, contracting, and all related planning and logistics. Supervise program details, plan program format, supervise technical arrangements, arrange rehearsals; work closely with performing artists to insure optimum production values.
- Meet artistic and rental targets through staff supervision and outreach to industry professionals in a way that makes sense within the greater picture of MCH and the Center as a whole.
- Ensure smooth day-to-day operation of the Concert Hall and its related spaces. Supervise Production Manager, Booking Manager, Program Coordinator, Recording Studio Manager, Head House Manager; indirectly supervise part time house staff and stage crew. Set concert division policies and procedures and make any necessary updates or changes.
- Supervise rental operation of MCH and other facilities, maintaining high standards of customer service, competitiveness in the marketplace, and alignment with the Center's mission.
- With MCH Head House Manager and other staff, manage and improve concessions business and lobby activity.
- Connect regularly with staff peers at Lucy Moses School, Special Music School and Face the Music to help increase their industry connections and to advise about opportunities for students and creative projects.Collaborate with Director of Marketing to plan and implement promotional outreach to raise visibility of MCH and to meet budget targets.
- Work closely with Director of Development to maximize fundraising opportunities.
- Manage relationships with outside curators, co-presenting partners, media partners, sponsorship partners and other program-related contractors.
- Develop and monitor the concert division (facilities) budget and the presentations budget. Approve purchase orders, related invoices, and payroll for front of house and theater staff.
- Act as main contact to Local One IATSE the stagehands union on behalf of MCH. Ensure adherence to collective bargaining agreement in collaboration with the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Using the Center's strategic plan as a map, working with the Executive Director to guide and track the implementation of plan objectives, measuring success at key points, and owning certain plan projects. Collaborate with peers at a deep level with the goals of increasing relevance and visibility, developing and delivering our programs in innovative ways and addressing infrastructure needs.
- Serve as primary staff member for the Merkin Hall Advisory Board, creating agendas, seeking advice and following through on viable suggestions.
- A strong music background, with connections and a track record particularly in today’s evolving music world.
- Ten years’ experience in arts administration, venue management, and/or producing live events in a performing arts setting.
- Senior level experience working with production teams and creative/ production partners. Experience with artist booking procedures and contract administration. Strong budget and fiscal management experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and superior attention to detail. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as both a leader and team member and/or work independently and take initiative as appropriate. Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to work with diplomacy and tact.
- Interest and availability to work a varied schedule (i.e. nights and/or weekends) as needed.
- Excellent PC-based computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite required. Knowledge of Ungerboeck scheduling software or Shopkeep point of sale system a plus.
- Ability and enthusiasm for working in a creative, hard-working environment that values creativity and the mission of the Center.
Position Available: Immediately.
How to Apply
Please email a résumé and thoughtful cover letter, including your salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: Managing Director, Merkin Concert Hall.
No phone calls, please.
Kaufman Music Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.