Jobs & Internships
Interim Acting Dean of Music, Special Music School High School
Kaufman Music Center is New York City’s creative home for music education and performance. Located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, the Center serves as a resource for students, artists and audiences through its five divisions: Lucy Moses School, a community school for the arts which offers instruction in music, dance and theater to children and adults; Merkin Concert Hall, an acoustically-renowned performance space known for its innovative programming schedule; Special Music School (P.S. 859), a unique public school for musically-gifted children; Face the Music, a 210 member youth ensemble devoted to the performance of works by living composers, and a Theater Wing, which specializes in guiding young people through the process of creating and performing original musical theater works.
Founded in 1952 as a community school for pre-conservatory music training, today's Kaufman Music Center provides entertainment, education and inspiration for more than 75,000 New Yorkers every year.
The Dean of Music, Special Music School High School is responsible for executing the vision of the Special Music School, in conjunction with the Music Director, on a day-to-day level for grades 9-12. He or she collaborates on a daily basis with other members of the Special Music School administrative team, and the Department of Education administration and faculty.
- In collaboration with the Music Director, executes the vision of the Special Music School
- Works with the Assistant Dean in coordinating permits, set-up, and equipment for classes, ensemble rehearsals, and concerts
- Communicates with the Music Director, faculty, parents, and students
- Is a member of the K-12 curriculum development team
- Maintains the school music calendar; with the Assistant Dean, schedules classes, ensembles, and concerts
- Supervises and develops the music program faculty, 9-12
- Moderates all 9-12 jury panels and attends school concerts
- Participates in 9-12 auditions and makes admissions decisions; guides teacher assignments
- Counsels high school families
- Full-time availability from now until the end of June
- Graduate-level training in music (master’s degree)
- Strong commitment to ‘progressive’ music education (the inclusion of composition and contemporary music)
- Prior experience working with teachers/music teachers
- Communication skills (listening, feedback, presentation)
- Collaboration/teambuilding skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Organizational skills
How to Apply
Please email résumé and letter of interest with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: Interim Acting Dean of Music. No phone calls, please. Kaufman Music Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.