Jobs & Internships
Kaufman Center seeks an experienced Production Manager to oversee the production of all events in Merkin Concert Hall, Ann Goodman Recital Hall, and related spaces at Kaufman Music Center. The PM is the primary technical contact for Kaufman staff, rental clients, and their professional technical personnel; and will act as liaison for the above groups to successfully meet the production and technical requirements for all events, while also ensuring high safety standards, production values, and good artist/audience experiences.
The Production Manager is a full-time management position that reports to the Producer & Managing Director of Merkin Concert Hall.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of theater production and entertainment technology in lighting and design, sound reinforcement and recording, video sources and projection, and stagecraft. Experience with theater and concert production technical requirements. Familiarity with orchestral and ensemble set-ups for classical, jazz, pop, and world music.
- Strong supervisory skills for overseeing technical staff with a wide range of talent and experience and effective teamwork, leadership, motivational and problem solving skills. Ability to wisely manage workforce in compliance with applicable requirements including collective bargaining agreements.
- Ability to serve as the “face” of Merkin Concert Hall for all external clients;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with diplomacy and tact with artists and staff.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to multi-task and think on his/her feet
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Patience, professionalism, and the ability to deal with artistic temperaments
- A sharp eye for detail
- Supervise Merkin Hall technical staff and make hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations, with input and oversight from Producer & Managing Director.
- Schedule stage managers, sound engineers, and recording engineers; coordinate recording studio schedule with input from Chief Recording Engineer
- Ensure that all scheduling, payroll, and staffing assignments are consistent with all applicable requirements.
- Input crew payroll and analyze payroll trends.
- Assess and coordinate stage, lighting, and sound needs and event schedules for all Merkin users. Determine staffing necessary for in-house productions and rentals.
- Communicate technical requirements and front-of-house needs to all show crew and house manager.
- Oversee set-ups for all MCH events, including rehearsals, auditions, photo shoots, etc; and events in other spaces as needed.
- Interface with external clients, staff and faculty during events and communicate any last-minute changes or outstanding event details to technical staff
- Coordinate and advance in-house festivals and productions, with input from other Kaufman staff.
- Enforce rules and safety procedures for Merkin Concert Hall, including backstage and front-of-house, and update procedures as needed.
- Provide orientation and training for staff, faculty, and crew in safety procedures and the proper use of stage equipment, as is appropriate. Provide advice about and documentation of best practices.
- Coordinate maintenance and repair of stage equipment. Track production expenses and communicate budgetary needs to Producer. Maintain and submit records of all production related expenses, payroll, rentals, transportation, supplies, etc.
- Maintain stage inventory and supply ordering
- Identify needs and collaborate with staff to budget and implement equipment purchases.
- Ensure that the concert hall and backstage areas are clean, safe and well organized
- Acquaint clients with facility and provide tours as needed in conjunction with Booking Manager
- Work with staff, AV consultants, and contractors to manage installation of upgrades or repairs to fixtures, AV, and other theater equipment in all performance and ancillary spaces.
- Develop season production calendar, and productions schedules and implementation plans for each event. Contract for additional rental equipment as needed and approved.
- 5 years theater and/or concert production experience, including some supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Direction, Theater Production, Performing Arts or a related field a plus
- Prior experience with lighting consoles (ETC consoles) and lighting design
- Prior experience with sound boards and recording equipment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekdays, weeknights, and weekends
- Ability to work independently and with full accountability
Position Available: Immediately.
To Apply: Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Subject line should read: Production Manager
Please indicate in your cover letter how your experience matches the needs of the position. Please also indicate your salary requirements.
No phone calls, please. Kaufman Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Kaufman Music Center is looking for part-time Ushers to join the front-of-house team at the renowned Merkin Concert Hall. Various shifts available: mornings, matinees and evenings. Weekend availability preferred.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing courteous service to our patrons
- Directing and/or escorting patrons to their seats
- Enforcing house rules and late seating policy
- Assisting with fire code safety procedures
- Setting up and operating the coat check room and concessions stand
- Other duties assigned by house manager
- Exceptional customer service ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Prior experience in a concert hall/theater
To apply, email letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Usher” in the subject line. Kaufman Music Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.