Jobs & Internships
The Director of Development will develop, lead and provide strategic direction for a comprehensive fundraising program to further Kaufman Music Center’s mission and growth goals. Through an aggressive new Major Donor initiative, a Capacity Building campaign, and development of internal constituents as new contributors, the Center plans to increase the annual fund goal from the current $2.8 million by about 30% over the next three years.
As a member of the senior management team, the Director of Development is a key position responsible for strategic leadership for the numerous fundraising programs of boards and special constituencies institution-wide, including, but not limited to Advisory boards, parent groups, etc. Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will dedicate a significant portion of his/her time to soliciting major contributions both directly and in concert with the Executive Director, Senior Staff, and Board of Trustees.
The Director is accountable for all unrestricted contributory revenue in support of the entire range of efforts of the institution; all temporarily restricted grant revenue; and all permanently restricted grants in support of the institution’s endowment. Revenue sources include individuals, trusts, foundations, corporations and government.
Supervising a team of three full time staff – Manager of Institutional Giving, Manager of Individual Giving, and Development Associate – plus intern(s) and a consultant for the annual gala, the Director of Development will lead fundraising efforts to meet the annual budget goals. The Center is currently working with Veritus Group to set up the major gifts program, and a professional review of written Development Communications is underway as well.
As Kaufman Music Center has undertaken recent new initiatives, including opening a public NYC Music High School, deepening a partnership with Opus 118, reaching underserved school-aged children through off-site productions of “Broadway Playhouse,” and developing the Center’s amazing youth contemporary music ensemble, “Face the Music,” the Director of Development will manage and oversee the completion of the Center’s current Capacity Building Campaign, the goal of which is to build sufficient resources to fund the new programs and build cash reserves (which now stand at $2.5MM). The Capacity Building Campaign goal is $5.5MM; to date $2.5 has been raised, and there is a matching pledge of $1MM which will be honored upon receipt of new or increased gifts totaling an additional $750,000. The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and other staff to expand to a broad-based fundraising plan targeting individuals, corporations, foundations and government agencies to support this initiative.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with the Board of Trustees and senior staff to develop and implement a strategy to move the fundraising support of Kaufman Music Center beyond its core relationships, building a pool of donors and trustees with the capacity for leadership giving and/or relationships that advance the Center’s programs;
- Develop and grow a portfolio of donor prospects; manage annual giving campaign; cultivate major donor support;
- Develop and implement solicitation strategies for major donor prospects;
- Implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors;
- Develop and manage Board fundraising capacity;
- Develop income and expense budgets for the department;
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program;
- Motivate Sr. Directors and their staffs to assist with these efforts;
- Within two years, increase the base of annual giving to the Center by 30%.
The successful candidate should have a proven track record of accomplishment, closing major gifts and overseeing appropriate divisions within Institutional Advancement. The successful candidate will have exemplary interpersonal and communication abilities, the highest level of integrity, outstanding people and financial management skills, high energy, a passion for the promotion and attainment of Kaufman Music Center’s institutional advancement mission, a passion for Kaufman Music Center’s work, and a sense of humor.
Specifically, the Director of Development should have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the New York philanthropic community;
- At least 10 years experience in development with significant background in strategic planning;
- Proven talent for developing relationships and cultivating potential supporters, including experience working at the Board and Trustee level;
- Existing contacts and/or relationships with major potential funders;
- Prior experience developing and implementing a successful Capital Campaign;
- Superior organizational ability and attention to detail;
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives;
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels inside and outside the organization;
- Passion for the arts and music education, along with a belief in the mission of Kaufman Music Center;
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred.
Kaufman Music Center is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is competitive. To apply, please mail (address is available on the web site), fax 212 874 7865, or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) your resume and cover letter (with salary requirements). The email subject line should indicate “Director of Development.” Applicants are encouraged to reach out immediately. Applications will be kept confidential.